Friday, April 10, 2009

QUIET FRIDAY

At the midpoint of our morning walk today Jon remarked that it was "quiet, too quiet." Our favorite dogs, Annie and Mazie were not outside to greet us, the school buses were absent, no kids on the corner, no crazed commuters. Duh! For most of the world this is a holiday. For us, it's business as usual, but the down time does give us an opportunity to try to catch up.

To complicate things this week--we are breaking in a new email system. Our old system, Lotus Notes, has been great, but it's time to move on. So our friends/clients Rob and Jane Kirkland spent all day last Sunday installing the new Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager on to our computers. Notes is still there as well until we get all the kinks worked out. Jon's Outlook seems to be working like charm; mine is not, so things are moving much slower than usual. Rob and Jane will be here again this weekend to work out the glitches and finish the installation. Watching those two work, one on one computer, one on the other is awe-inspiring. They are both IBM/computer geniuses and I swear, for them it's a competition to see who can correct the glitches first. (I hear strains of "Dueling Banjos" in the background when they work.)

We'll feed Rob and Jane a nice Easter dinner and celebrate Rob's birthday when they finish their work and we should be up and running full-speed next week.

For those of you who have queried, your queries will be answered. Jon is afraid that he's missed a batch of queries in the transition and encourages you to query again if you've not recieved an answer. We usually answer queries within a month. And for those of you who've been good enough to send requested partials and manuscripts, we thank you for your patience. We are moving forward and we will someday get to the bottom of the piles!

We wish you all a lovely holiday weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, I've come to the conclusion that I really like you folks. I am a busy woman. I work full time, and almost every spare second I have is devoted to writing or reading (or sometimes cleaning the kitchen or feeding the dogs). In the chaos of my life, I rarely slow down and smell the roses. It's good that you two take the time to connect with each other, even if it's just a morning walk. Last night, I remarked to my husband (who often takes a back seat to my characters) that I felt like I was neglecting him. He assured me that the fifteen minutes I had given him after he got home from work was enough, but reading this particular post inspires me to put aside the fake people in my life and spend a few minutes with the real ones. They miss me when I get lost in my stories. Thanks for this small reminder to prioritize. Happy Easter. I hope your friends get the kinks worked out of your new email system quickly.