Monday, June 29, 2009

WHAT IS GREAT SCIENCE FICTION?

Jon is grumbling and wringing his hands tonight. He just got another publisher rejection for his dark steampunk novel entitled The Nightmare Sun. Jon is a real sci-fi head, reared on Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury and other greats. In his opinion, The Nightmare Sun is a real contender. But he's been rejected several times at houses we thought were shoo-ins. What to do?

The Nightmare Sun has it all--dark, gritty action, a tough and harrowing plot-line, likable protagonist, monsters, and robots. What more could you want? Apparently our editor friends want something else, though none have been able to articulate just what that "something" is. 'Tis a puzzlement! I guess we feel just like you do when agent after agent tells you your work is not for them.

So, like you, we persevere. I still believe that there's an agent and a publisher out there for every good book. It's up to you and to us to find them!

Jon's next challenge is another sci-fi, this one a space opera entitled Savannah Rane. I love this book and its kick-ass female protagonist who raises cane and battles really skanky enemies. I can see the jacket now and eeeeww the slithery thing bedevils Savannah and defies description. He (she, it) makes Jabba the Hut look like a teddy bear.

Tomorrow's another day--perhaps it's the day we'll find homes for The Nightmare Sun and Savannah Rane.

2 comments:

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kae and Jon, I wish you the best of luck placing The Nightmare Sun and Savannah Rane (love that name!) in the right hands. Your enthusiasm for your projects shines through. The authors are lucky to have you in their corners!

Rebecca Knight said...

Nightmare Sun sounds right up my alley, so you HAVE to find a home so I can read it ;).

Ray Bradbury is my all time favorite author, and I've been rereading the Martian Chronicles again trying to absorb his awesomeness somehow.

Best of luck! I can't wait to read both of these.