Friday, February 17, 2012

WYLIE, A BOOK CAT

August 1, 1995—February 17, 2012

 Wylie was a fixture in our office for over 14 years, from his early days with his brother and sister, romping under our feet and skittering down the hall after catnip mice, to the past few weeks when play, eating, sleeping, even purring, were more than he could manage.

He was sick and suffering so we took him to the vet this afternoon and said goodbye for the last time. What an awful decision, but it was a promise we made to him years ago.

When you’re unable to be a cat, when pain and suffering dominate your days, we will release you.

When we got home tonight we gathered the blankets, towels, the brushes, cat toys and dishes and put them in large trash bags. The cans of cat food and container of cat litter will go to our local cat rescuer; the litter boxes will be discarded. Without all that cat detritus the office looks much more professional and less cluttered. But it’s also less alive. We’re going to have to figure out how to move forward post-Wylie. We’ve decided that we will not try to replace him.

The house is so different without Wylie. We both fight the tears and the sorrow and I’m sure we will for some time. He was such a good friend and such a good cat. We miss him desperately and will remember him forever.

9 comments:

Bonnie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your cat. Ihad three and know how much they become part of your life.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

So sorry for your loss. Making the decision to end their suffering is on of the hardest choices. And so unfair.

B.E. Sanderson said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I dread the day when I'll have to do the same for my furbabies.

Charley said...

So sorry for your loss. Especially hard without another pet to help you along. Hope the office doesn't feel too empty.

Huntress said...

If it helps, read The Rainbow Bridge.
http://petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm

I joke that when I meet my beloved animals at the bridge, a mass of fur will hit me. Cats, dogs, and horses. Total mayhem.

Take care.
*typing through my tears*

lizzie starr said...

love and sparkles to you.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry for your loss, my Eddie looks very similar Wylie.

Lori said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved Wylie. What a difficult decision you had to make and how lucky he was that you had the strength and the love to be able to release him from his pain. Our thoughts are with you.

L.M. Elm said...

So sorry for your loss :-(