Wednesday, May 6, 2009

ODDS AND ENDS

Rainy and cloudy again here. It's been a peculiar spring in the Northeast. Two weeks ago it was so hot that we turned on the air conditioning. My daughter and I went to NYC to see "Rock of Ages" (loved it!) and sweltered in the hot sun waiting for tickets. A few days after the hot spell it began to rain and we haven't seen the sun for days and days. Back to sweatpants, long-sleeved shirts and hot tea.

The hot spell forced all the spring trees to blossom at once and now we have the end of the forsythias in combination with lilacs, dogwoods, cherries, and now honeysuckle. Beautiful-odd, but beautiful. The hummingbirds have returned from South America and I worry about them shivering in the cold.

A morning of queries. Would you believe it? Two more "literary" queries from the "abused woman" author(s). Maybe this is a scam designed to drive agents nuts and will eventually land a book contract for the demon behind the whole affair.

Amazon.com, Inc. announced that it will increase its fees for "wireless transfer of personal documents to a user's Kindle." The article goes on: "The fact that Amazon feels it necessary to up the charges means the service must be proving popular, and that fits in with anecdotal evidence that e-readers are mostly being used to read documents rather than magazines and/or books. Anyone who's job involves, say, reading reams of Ofcom reports and radio-spectrum analysis will love a device that enables easy transportation and keeps track of progress - not to mention removing the intimidating heap of paper from the desk."

OK. Here's the question of the day for those of you who are Kindle-owners. Do you read books / magazines / newspapers on Kindle or do you read your own documents? I have been lusting after the Kindle because it would be a great way to read manuscripts. But, can I afford it?

5 comments:

MeganRebekah said...

I bought the Kindle 2 when it was released and have not regretted the decision for one minute, even with the hefty price tag.
I read lots of books on it and love the option to read a sample of a book before buying it (like flipping through the paperback at the bookstore).

I download personal documents to it occasionally, usually just drafts of my WIP. It's amazing what a different perspective you get on your own work when you read in a book format like the Kindle.

Patrice Sarath said...

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that, but that makes sense.

Anonymous said...

I have a Sony Reader (I'm in Canada, so the Kindle isn't availabe here). No fees to put Word documents or PDFs on it! I have the 700 version, so I can put in comments. It makes beta-reading great. I would highly recommend it for reading manuscripts - no need to cart around your laptop (if you have one).

S. Jestin

Rebecca said...

I use mine for reading novels, though one of the reasons I decided to buy it was for the free (!) transfer of personal documents (including my own WIPs). Regardless, I'd still recommend it to any serious reader - I love mine!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Oy vey - one more amazing thing to buy. Where will it end?