I wish I knew. I really don't. I have absolutely no idea how writers like this become so successful. But, using my knowledge of publishing and publicity and a wild imagination, here are a few possibilities.
- Perhaps they were innovators; did Danielle INVENT the bitchy female protagonist?
- Perhaps they were selfless self-promoters with inside tracks to powerful media folks
- Perhaps they had powerful agents and editors who pushed their books to the top of their publisher's lists
- Perhaps their books satisfy the lowest desires of lazy readers--action, sex, fantasy--and no effort to read!
- Perhaps they know something the rest of us don't?
Any of you have any other ideas about how poor writers sometimes get to the top of the heap?