The Editor Meeting
The editor was delightful. We shared publishing tales and I went away with concrete ideas about the books this editor is seeking. Note: If you are a doctor, RN or other health professional and have a book about how to cope with a specific disease, contact me. I am simply thrilled that this editor found me and am looking forward to working with her in the near future. (I'm also thrilled that she introduced me to Gregory's Coffee Shop--so much cooler than the S-place!)
The Raucous Publicity Mavens Dinner
I launched my publicity business 15 years ago and for at least 10 of those 15 years I've been dining in New York on a regular basis with three other publicists, all of whom run their own shops--two in NYC, one in New Jersey, mine in Pennsylvania. We originally met to share publicity stories and dish the publishing dirt. Our mission hasn't changed much in the past 10 or so years.
- We've experienced health crises, the entry into college and graduation of two of our children, the marriage of two of our children, the birth of 4 grandchildren with another on the way.
- We've travelled the country and the world--Italy, France, Turkey--just to name a few places.
- We've experienced a complete overhaul in the way we run our businesses, from phone-based to Internet-based.
- We've worked with the big name publishers, smaller independents and tiny houses.
- We've been hired by authors, by publishers, sometimes by other businesses.
- We've had great successes and hilarious mishaps.
- We've counseled each other on how to handle dicey editors, nasty publicists, clueless producers and head-in-the-clouds authors.
- We've tirelessly and dependably shared our precious media lists.
- Mostly we've laughed, driven waiters crazy, drunk far too much wine and generally had a wonderful time.
Now for a special side note for Friday, July 11. Those of you who read this blog regularly know our office cat Wylie. Wylie sits poised on the brink of stardom. Please visit "Galley Cat" , scroll down the "Adorable Summer Cats" photos and see Wylie the accountant. OK, you can see it on our blog as well, but he's in such good company in Galley Cat!